[cool_harbor] JMS? Java Message Service

  • From: "Johnny Kewl" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cool_harbor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 13:58:43 +0200

Yes, JMS is just Java, so yes, one can use it.

One can combine any technology with Harbor.

For example if you having problems trying to work through a firewall, stick
your JMS in the server side of the application, and simply let the client,
whether that be a full Java client, an applet, an external servlet container,
call the functions that do the JMS behind the firewall. Remember, Harbor works
through a firewall.

Remember also that its now extremely easy to build your own server, for example
look at the Mailer example, as soon as that is dropped into Harbor, in effect,
you have built a mailing server.
So before you rush off and use JMS, make sure you actually need it, because
something as simple as setMsg, and getMsg, may already do it, because as soon
as the client "diffuses" from the server side, its well on its way to being a
message service already.

We starting to feel quite bad, because everything people ask us, the answer
seems to be, "oh forget about that technology"...
Its just that where Java was a "stand-alone" technology before and needed help
with things like messaging and remote starting, with Harbor it doesnt need that
much help anymore.
So, we not attacking every technology out there, whats happening is Java as a
plain language, is now amazingly powerful, the language itself has moved up
into the same sphere as all the fancy technologies... so its "Java" itself that
is now saying, "I dont need all those apron strings anymore".

Use whatever you feel comfortable with ;)