Re: Buddha awareness, Jung and the Communion of saints

  • From: david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ConstellationTalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 13:54:53 +1000

Dear Anni,

Thank you for this post from you Anni, and the thread, Dr Joseph, and for talking about a subject that is not easy to talk about. I think it takes some courage. Sometimes I find if I start to talk about the Spiritual matters in Constellations, I feel some blockage or resistance inside me, and I pull back. The Spirit shows up in Constellations but we don?t often talk about it. But, having said this, I will have a go. I add some ideas based on my Constellation experience.

From Anni:
With regards to Dr. Joseph's post, I agree that there are similarities in what is referred to as "Buddha awareness, Jung's Individuated collective consciousness and the healing power of the Communion of saints and that these are things that we comprehend not through our normal intellectual function but through a process that includes some kind of a leaving behind
the attentive state of physicality and moving oneself into a level of another kind of awareness. However, I cannot agree that the word equal gives us a sense of the nature of each of these experiences or observations. For example, if one considers spiritual progress as a ladder and that as we slowly step on various rungs of the ladder parts of our ego consciousness
fall away and we are led to a deeper awareness of other states of being.

From David:
In Constellations, when we have a sense of the bigger picture, as though we are on a ladder where we can see the bigger picture, then we take a different position. Up there we can get a sense of equal-ness or ease and flow with that level. This is different from taking an elevated position based on pride or being puffed-up in some way, or something we try and do because of fear or ego. One of the main differences is our relationship with ?What is?. I come back to this below. I think in any System we take different positions depending on what part of the system we are relating to. Like I a family system. So it is with what we might call the ?System of Constellation healing?. Recently I have spent much time exploring how I relate to the Constellation healing system as a facilitator.

However when we see he big picture from a position further up the ladder, if we are not grounded, then this connection or experience is not useful, and is not healing, because healing is very practical, it is manifest in the physical world. I like the idea that the best place to see the sky is on the earth. I think this is a similar notion to many spiritual practices in which the journey to the spiritual is often through simple practices, our daily lives, rather than something amazing or magical. 'What is' seems more accessible if we slow down and wait in the stillness, and have a less complex life, then we are more able to see it, to connect with it. From our Constellation experience, we know that all elements in a system are always there, though sometimes it is hard to connect. So ?what is? is always there.

From Anni:
There is a point beyond what we might 'normally' call Buddha awareness or perhaps Christian union that is a further surrender of self. It seems that in the Buddhist tradition, and I am not Buddhist so this is only from my 'reading' about it not experiencing it, there is a point where the main beam that holds the house up, collapses. This is perhaps similar to the experience of no-self in the Christian mystical evolution whereby the complete 'personality' dis-integrates into a place of only creator presence. This is not something that is frequently discussed but it is a point where there becomes so much similarity in the spiritual traditions that no dogmatic differences remain.

From David:
I find it useful to see a difference between the Creator and what we might call the energy of 'What is'. For me, the Creator or what I call the 'First Mover' exists in our ancestry; it comes before everything else, before all the events and people that shaped our life. So I look for that in my past, behind me, with my future in front of me. So for me the Creator exists in time, it is temporal.

'What is', or the unknown or unnamed, exists outside and inside of time, it is not dependent on time, it is everywhere, more like a pure energy or attitude, but basically almost impossible to describe. As a Constellation facilitator I see my connection with 'what is', as very important, even to my health. Because it is the bigger picture it seems to help clients connect with the bigger picture in their Constellation. We tend to use names such as 'what is', as though it is in the present, but it is 'what was', 'what is' and 'what will be' and it also stands outside of time, so our connection with 'what is' seems to take us to a different level from history, ancestors or the future. I am finding it important with the energy of 'what is' to not just connect with it in the past, in one direction, because then we can only experience part of it, and I feel then we limit the constellation and what it might get in touch with. If we experience 'what is' just as 'what happened' then we can confuse it with events and ancestors and only part of it is available to us. And I find if I experience ?What is? in the past then I feel smaller but in other places I find myself more equal with its energy.

From Anni:
It is my belief that the more steps up the rung of spiritual awareness one has taken that the more effective one will be as a constellator. This is not a matter of dogma and definition but of depth of perception into the realms of the hidden jewels of the darkness. My purpose then for continuing this discussion on spiritual development (or perhaps as Dan has called it paranormal) is that I wholeheartedly believe that as facilitators we serve best when we are least in the way of what is sought. The greater our surrender of our ego self and the greater our intention to connect with the forces of creation energy, the more effective our work can become. There is an irony in that as we step 'up' the ladder of the spiritual, we step 'down' the ladder of our place in the nature of the constellation. We serve our 'client' from a place that is under them and under their family.

From David:
You say here, Anni, that we serve the client and their family best from a position under them. Maybe a part of us is under them. I think I can stand in between the Constellation and the client, and get in the way. If I do that then what might linger in me after the workshop has finished? I think a more effective stance is for me to be behind the Constellation, supporting it; it in turn stands behind the client helping them face what heals them and their family system.

I have also found that trying to understand my relationship with the constellation has helped me be clearer about my role. I feel firmer now in my role as facilitator. I am not a healer when I am facilitating, and when I let the client?s constellation heal something in me, then that is more as David the person, not David the facilitator. As a facilitator, I can support the space and conditions in which healing can occur, and I can witness it, but the client is their own healer, if that is what they want. I think my understanding with this started when I saw Francesca Boring?s work a few years ago, I felt invited to bring myself into her workshop as a healer, a client who was a healer. This was very new to me at the time, and it has taken time to digest this and find my own way with it.

The Constellation does not finish at the end of the workshop, it continues and is available after the workshop. And because of this my relationship with the Constellation and the family system after the Constellation is very important. I think that much of this is out of our awareness. I found the recent posts by Thomas Bryson on ?Bowing? very helpful and I thank you Thomas for them. I find that in bowing to ?What is? and the clients Family system I can more effectively let go of entanglements I have with the client?s system and in turn protect myself from carrying energies that tie me and can have others effects, maybe my health, my relationships, and my ability to work with the next client.

I find that when I take this stance with ?What is? then I can let go of some of the positions I took in the workshop when I was too big, too arrogant, and then become aware of trying to return to just being a grain of sand, in the bigger system. Then I am less likely to get in the way of the Constellation and the client. However I see this as different from supporting a client after their Constellation, who might feel overwhelmed or is resisting their Constellation in some way, or not wanting to heal. I like the way Dan described this quite a while ago, something about Constellations being like inviting clients to step into a river, but how can they know how fast the current is. Some clients do have a sense of the current, though. I still see supporting the client after their Constellation fits with my role as facilitator, still standing behind the Constellation. In fact if we think about it, we often see clients after their Constellation, the next time they come to a workshop.

In understanding our stance as facilitators with the Constellation, it can help get a sense of the difference between private sessions and workshops. Dan spoke about this recently. I think that we each have an energy or personality that can suit different styles of working. And also we may project our own background/family onto the workshop in some way and this can affect the size of the group. This is something useful to explore. But I find that in private session the energy of the work is often more contained, well directed, and the constellation more supportive of the client. In workshops I think sometimes we ask much of the Constellation. In addition to supporting the client sometimes we ask it to put on a show, maybe to make us look good, recruit for next time, hold the group?s interest etc. I think we need to be careful of this. It is just a Constellation. In the private session the Constellation seems to have fewer tasks and be just there for the client.

From Anni:
We serve the movements of wellness as a moment in time and place for the movement to occur. We do not DO the movement, we only allow for it to unfold from that which is. If a constellator uses his or her role to force movements then they will be more from the lower rungs of the spiritual ladder and perhaps less effective.

From David:
This is not an obvious issue. What I mean is that the idea that we do not ?do movements? in Constellations is not that clear. What is a ?movement?? This is an interesting concept because in daily life we interact with each other?s systems and that is just ?What is?. And where does the system begin and end? In a way, we are all in the same System. If we had not held the workshop as the facilitator would the family have healed at that time, in that way? We are part of their System of healing. However, again, I think our relationship with ?What is? is vital. It is our posture and our attitude, which can support the movement of the client, and our own wellbeing.

You say:

?The more the constellator surrenders to the knowing that is unseen, the Buddha awareness perhaps or the place of union or the shamanic role of traveller, then the greater is the power and the movement of creative energy that heals?

I think this comment should be part of everyone?s training.

Thank you again Anni and to all who contribute in this space.

My apologies for a long post.

David Mathes???Sydney and Beijing