[CTS] Re: product recommends

  • From: "Eric C. Vogel" <ericcvogel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:03:32 -0400

There are older cheaper cable modems that support DOCSYS 1.0 and Upgradable
to DOCSYS 1.1 (Note, Linksys is like this but Comcast will not upgrade it
and Linksys says only the cable co. can. Comcast said it should work but
they won't have as much diagnostic capibility. So I guess if your service
had issues they couldn't help you much.) How much does your cable company
charge? If you go to Best Buy they usually will have you buy a $100 some
modem fro $30 after rebate + new activiation rebate. Or you could pay $5-$10
in modem rental. If the modem stops working, gets zapped by a surge, your
cable co will replace it. I do not want to pay $140+6% tax for a DOSYS 1.2
modem. I divide it by $5 and see that it would take several years to pay
off. Many things could happen:
1) Forced to get a new DOCSYS modem even if upgradeable if cable co will not
do it.
2) Move in that time and only have DSL access.

I have not been following Scanners and DVD R/RW as I am not in the market. I
am happy with my Que 24x10x40x.

Thank you,
Eric Vogel