[CTS] Re: m/board drivers woes

  • From: "Russ Blakeman" <rhb57@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 17:20:49 -0500

Actually the better sound processors are the ones built on-board and knowing
what type/which model you have on a board with no CD attached is a bit
tricky, especially now with heat sinks glued to the chips.

Best bet is to first try to get a manual online for the motherboard and then
see if you can locate drivers through the motherboard maker, despite the
fact that the onboard sound is made by someone else. ESS, Crystal, Yamaha,
SB and a few other name brands are easy enough on-board sound processors to
get drivers for.

You may have the sound card properly installed that you are are of but many
of them involve special codecs, hardware drivers, etc so some might involve
up to 8 different devices within the windows device manager.