[CTS] Re: Monitor weirdness.

  • From: Steve <spatz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 23:04:37 -0500

Michael wrote:

I'm not a real tech anymore, and I don't even play one on TV, but...

The pattern is regular enough to make me think it might *be* a hardware
(video RAM) problem, though I suppose it's possible for it to have something
to do with your video drivers.  If it's only happened twice in a week, it
seems likely to me that it's an intermittent h/w thing that just didn't
happen to show up while you were  running in another OS.   Is your display
card clean and firmly seated in its slot?

The card should be seated firmly. I'll check it in the morning. A reboot fixed the problem, just a reboot, didn't turn the monitor off or shut the PC down. What I have noticed and I forgot to mention was that the mouse pointer has been showing that pattern for over 2 weeks now. It's not all the time, and I haven't been able to track it down to a specific app, I start or access but it just suddenly appears. And as if on cue, there it is now. I can see the pointer but it's overlaid on a small version of that screen shot. It happened right after I went to my taskbar and then back up. It's like the contents of the taskbar 'stuck' to the pointer.

Two things you might try (to check on whether this is a
software/Windows-only thing) are:  1) to run in Windows for a while at a
different screen resolution and see if this stuff repeats itself.... or 2)
to run for a while (at the same resolution - 1024x768?) using only your
other OS.

I am going to have to try that. Open up the case and clean it out first, as I was having issues with the other OS locking up hard, last week. God I hope the motherboard or something isn't going.

Oh... and the pile of icons on your desktop is even scarier than mine. :-)

And I access maybe one or two of those icons a day. The rest just sit there.

((U))

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Computer Talk Shop http://www.computertalkshop.com Un-subscribe/Vacation, http://www.computertalkshop.com/list_options.htm

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm