[CTS] Re: Monitor weirdness.

  • From: "Michael" <muirhead@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 18:20:14 -0800

Steve wrote:
> Go to: <http://s87365085.onlinehome.us/weird/odd.jpg>
>
> I have gotten that kind of weirdness on my monitor twice in the past
> week.  Only happens in Windows, so I am thinking it's not a hardware
> problem.  Any ideas?

I'm not a real tech anymore, and I don't even play one on TV, but...

The pattern is regular enough to make me think it might *be* a hardware
(video RAM) problem, though I suppose it's possible for it to have something
to do with your video drivers.  If it's only happened twice in a week, it
seems likely to me that it's an intermittent h/w thing that just didn't
happen to show up while you were  running in another OS.   Is your display
card clean and firmly seated in its slot?

Two things you might try (to check on whether this is a
software/Windows-only thing) are:  1) to run in Windows for a while at a
different screen resolution and see if this stuff repeats itself.... or 2)
to run for a while (at the same resolution - 1024x768?) using only your
other OS.

Oh... and the pile of icons on your desktop is even scarier than mine.  :-)

((U))

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm