[CTS] Re: Folder Printer?

  • From: "Russ Blakeman" <rhblake@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 07:15:41 -0500

I take it you focus more on Linux and have never really used DOS, CP/M.
Actually Linux is a GUI version (in most ways) of Unix and CP/M really isn't
related to Unix at all. While the first DOS was made to be command
compatible with CP/M, it's a totally different world.

Windows as we know it, since 95, is basically a consolidated DOS and Windows
3.11 with enhancements. The DOS layer still loads first, but invisibly. NT
and 2000 probably don't fall into this as NT is a clone of OS/2 with
enhancements. Matter of fact OS/2 was originally an MS project and after
1.xx they sold it (supposed en toto) to IBM who actually made it work and
then lo and behold MS came out with NT...which is why IBM sued MS.

Every OS has it's drawbacks and advantages. There were a few GUI inerfaces
for DOS before Windows and even Windows before a certain version was really
a GUI. Linux (as pointed out by Hal) is not home-user friendly YET, but with
people such as yourself continually using it and creating a need for
drivers, updates, etc it may soon be as commonplace as DOS, Windows or NT.

We all know you're a Linux zealot and we applaud you for this-you and others
may be the reason for MS's downfall or restructuring someday. I knida like
Linux in ways as it's helping older microchannel machines stay useful
without having to use an old version OS. This keeps me with a good sales
base for IBM PS/2's as well.

List HowTo: http://questforcertification.com/cts/faq

http://questforcertification.com/cts/other_cts_lists.htm