[COMP] Re: Comp Sci Vs. Comp Engineering

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 08:49:32 -0500

On Tuesday 30 January 2001 20:40, you wrote:
> Hi all, I'm only a lil young one and next year I'll be heading off to
> University. However I have a delima, I need to send my application soon
> but I cant decide between Computer Engineering or Computer Science
> Degree. My guidance counsler hasn't provided much help and neither has
> the university. Im stuck. I figure alot of you are knowageable with such
> things and could maybe make a comparison / suggestion. Which could offer
> better employability, careers etc. Half the reason I'm stuck is that I
> want to do Science because I have a big interest in programming, but yet
> I'm interested in electronics so in a way I'd get some of both in
> engineering. But it real life terms and not exactly sure what eaither
> would do for me.
> Thanks in advance guys becasue I really need some help.

For what it's worth, I went with CS, and there hasn't yet been a day that
I regret it.  Had you been getting into the program last year or the year
before, I would've recommended it highly, but the job market is changing,
and while CS majors are still in high demand, I don't know what it'll be
like in 4 years.  - Something to consider there too.

If you like programming, go with CS.  If you like hardware more, go with
CE.  But hey, as a CS, you'll have lots of spare time to goof around with
whatever you feel like playing with (get some CE friends, join related
clubs, etc.).  And... Why not double major?  Or get a CE minor?  It really
doesn't have to be one or the other...

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA