[COMP] Re: Comp Sci Vs. Comp Engineering

  • From: "Michael V. Franklin" <slavo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:05:05 -0800

Ralph,

I'm a computer engineering student at Washington State Universtity.  We have
3 programs here that are all somewhat related:  Computer Science, Computer
Engineering, and Electrical Engineering.  Computer Engineering, at least as
it relates to WSU's program encompasses operating systems and embedded
systems as well as the digital side of electronics.  There is very little
emphasis on analog electronics.  This stuff is covered mostly be the
electrical engineering program.  There is also very little focus on writing
programs that interact directly with the user (like Word, you browser,
applications).  You can dig a little bit into analog stuff by taking some of
those courses as electives.  The computer science program focuses mostly on
software engineering (figuring out what to write), programming (actually
writing the code), data structures (different ways of implementing ideas in
the form of digital data i.e. stacks, linked lists, etc...), and a little
computer architecture and digital hardware.

In short, the break down is somewhat like this:

Electrical Engineering:  Anything that uses electricity (computers to power
relays), but almost no software programming.
Computer Engineering:  Digital hardware and Low Level Software
Computer Science:  Primarily software (A healthy portion of low level, but
mostly high level stuff)

It is not very common for a computer engineer to be designing web sites or
office programs.  This stuff is mostly for the computer scientist.
Similarly, it is not common for a computer scientist to be designing video
cards and other hardware.  That is mostly done by computer engineers.
Computer scientist and computer engineers both share the operating system
programming and low level programming somewhat.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

Mike