RE: Shot in the dark :)

  • From: "andrea wynn" <wynn72@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: comptesol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 17:01:01 -0400

I'm a big giant skulker, too. No news is good news, though . . . teaching
hasbeen going fine but I feeel like I'm busier than I've been in a long time
(and I'm not one to keep myself busy) so I'm worn slam out most of the
time--I don't even check my email regularly anymore.

Jeff--I havent read that poem in a long time, but doesn't somebody kill a
girl? What about writing a modern day newspaper article to accompany the
events of the poem. Or, if you're teaching about voice/tone, give small
groups a"voice" they have to relate the events from--or let them pick and
have the rest of the class guess when they present the info (a rapper, a
newspaper writer, a gossipy neighbor). If  you're looking at symbolism,
maybestudents could pick something symbolic for each charater (something
thatsymbolizes them) and write a paragraph or present their choices. If
you're doing narrative poetry elements have them draw a stick-figure comic
strip that conveys plot, character, setting

My ideas are always a little 8th grade, though.

Can I just tell you all that I am in love with teaching only writing to
thesekids? It's so much better than teaching literature--I'm for real, yo!
I'm seeing a lot of work in only 6 weeks. But I've got so many more students
now . . .

Sorry I'm so quiet . . . I can't get the chalkdust away from me to write
more.

Andrea

>From: "Jeff Schragel" <novelsensations@xxxxxxxxxxx> >Reply-To:
comptesol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >To: comptesol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >Subject: Shot in the
dark :) >Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:53:46 +0000 >>Hello Everyone :) >>Kind of
a shot in the dark- but i am wondering if anyone has ever taught or >been
taught the poem "Porphyria's lover" by Robert Browning?  I am teaching >it
ina week or so and i would like some creativity.  It is my first time
>teaching freshmen and my first time teaching on camera, so i am a bit
>nervous.  I am a boring Lit guy and so lecture, lecture, lecture comes to
>mind (I can ramble forever)... I want to open it up though..  I figured if
>there would be anyone to ask as far as creativity it would be all of you!
>If anyone knows of this poem I would really appreciate some creative ideas
>for teaching it.  I will definately owe you a drink next summer! >>Thank
you:) >SMILE!!! Jeff
road to retirement? Check out MSN Life Events for advice on how to >get
there! http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=Retirement >>

getthere![1]

--- Links ---
   1 http://g.msn.com/8HMAENUS/2749??PS=47575