Re: Help! MLA & Interviews

  • From: Mysti Rudd <Mysti.Rudd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: comptesol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 11:48:52 -0600

Amy--if they ask you if you salt your food before tasting it, say "NO!"
No kidding--I was asked this at my interview here at Port Arthur. Apparently if
you say "Why yes, as a matter of fact I do," it means that you are an
inflexible tyrant. End of interview.

By the way, Lamar University (the four year school in Beaumont) is advertising
for a comp/rhet professor. Here's the lowdown:

Assistant Professor-Rhetoric & Composition (#100185) - English & Modern
Languages; Full-time; Tenure-track; Salary: Commensurate with education &
experience (Pending available funding); Open until filled.

Duties: Teach literature and writing all levels in undergraduate and M.A.
program. Work closely with university writing programs; work closely with
pertinent department personnel in revision and development of writing
curriculum. Teach four classes each long term. Participate in department,
college, university committees and councils. Participate in professional
organizations. Research and publication required.

Qualifications: Ph.D. with specialization in Rhetoric and/or Composition
required; strong commitment to teaching writing and substantial course work in
this field required. Full-time classroom experience in teaching developmental
writing and college writing preferred. Knowledge and experience in writing
across the curriculum, designing writing curricula, and developing integrated
all-level writing program strongly desirable. Demonstrate strong potential for
research and publication. Official transcripts are required at the time of
employment.

How to apply: Submit letter of formal application, curriculum vita, official
transcripts (copies for application process) three current letters of
recommendation, and statement of composition pedagogy philosophy to: Chair,
Search Committee; c/o Human Resources; Lamar University; P.O. Box 11127;
Beaumont, Texas 77710.

Anyone wanna come and be my new roommate? (until I fly away to the west coast,
that is.)

Mysti