RE: Dissertation Meeting Notes

  • From: "Joanna Paull" <joannapaull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comptesol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:52:45 -0400

Amy,
You rock for doing this.  I am a bit frantic and pissed off that the grad
handbook we were given by the department and the website for the department
lie about the culminating evaluation.  I am awaiting Claude's wisdom about
which procedure I should follow--the one outlined in the graduate handbook
and website or the one that Jerry outlined in his silly handout.

With that said, I would like to make a comment about Jerry's silly handout
about the process we should be following to get the dissertation done.
Specifically, he notes that we should finish coursework, the qualifying
portfolio, the culminating evaluation, IRB submission and approval, and
ending with dissertation completion and defense.  Some of this makes sense;
however, I HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend that everyone submit their
information to IRB BEFORE working on the first three chapters.  Jerry made a
mention in his handout and discussion to write the three chapters of your
dissertation before gaining approval from IRB which is just insane.  What
happens if (and probably when) you need to revise your process after IRB
reviews it? You cannot decide on a methodology until you are certain it is
ethically approved by the IRB.  That's my own opinion, I suppose, but I just
can't fathom why anyone would wait to gain IRB approval until after they
have decided on their project and had it approved by a committee in the
department.  Can anyone rationalize this for me? I think it is a dangerous
route to take.  Though, if you were at the meeting (I am now known as
"Honolulu"), you noticed Jerry's disdain for my presence and questions, so
perhaps I should not comment on my thoughts on his wicked ways.
Joanna