Re: Amy = Tenure Goddess

  • From: "ms lynch" <amy.wordnerd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: comptesol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 18:31:30 -0500

On 4/13/06, Kathleen J. Klompien <kklompien@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Eek. I hate doing teaching demos.  What did you do?

I had a freshman comp class. I found out they'd been doing more personal,
informal writing most of the year, and now were moving on to formal research
writing. So, we talked abou soem of the fdrustrations and challenges of
doing that. Then, I introduced the concept of discourse communitues. We did
some who class and small group work, brainstorming different ones we belong
to, and their features. Then, as a whole class, we brainstormed the features
of academic dis. I posited their frustrations as due partly to learnign this
new discourse. Finally, we brainstormed ways one can write in acad. dis and
still subvert it, keep one's style.