[CoMoDev] Re: A new onboard Palm resource editor

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:03:22 -0700

There was some discussion about the fact that where RsrcEdit doesn't handle
stuff after OS 4 very well, Bird really *only* runs on OS 5 devices.  Philippe
was trying to make it so you could develop software on the Palm that targets OS
5 devices, so he assumed you'd be using an OS 5 machine.  After all, you
couldn't very well compile and run on a device that doesn't support the traps
used in the software, right?  In that sense I guess it's a complement, not a
replacement to RsrcEdit.

As far as I can see the odd behavior with the menus relates to trying to run in
on an OS < 5 as well.  Menus are normal on my T3, and mixed up on my OS 4.1
Samsung i500.  That *is* a weird bug!

It's in its first beta release, so I'm sure he'll hammer the kinks out--or at
least check the OS version during startup.  If there are any Pascal fanatics
out there he welcomes patch submissions. Anyway, it's already way better than
RsrcEdit for editing bitmaps.  A thing of beauty, really!  The one feature I
miss is that you can't yet beam a record database to another device.  RsrcEdit
always filled that gap well (the system only beams applications, not
databases), which is handy when you need to do quick tests on a few different
devices.

David