RE: [CollabLaw] no fault

  • From: divorce@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: CollabLaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:59:24 -0500

In Virginia, fault can influence property division and can prevent alimony (which otherwise is awarded more liberally than in most other states, when requested). Besides the fault grounds of divorce (adultery, desertion, [repeated, physical] cruelty, or imprisonment), an unequal property division can also be awarded based on -
-either party's negative or positive, monetary or non-monetary contributions to the marriage
-a party's contrbution to a particular marital asset
-the factors and circumstances that led to marital dissolution, including but not limited to fault grounds
-or many other factors that are not fault-related, including anything the judge considers significant.

We have no rule or presumption in favor of a 50-50 division but we all nearly always act as if we did.

These "unequal division" factors usually cost people more in extra legal fees than they gain from them, and they drive settlement positions apart, and make people "invest" in fault proof and pleadings and then want something in return. But there have been some cases where they've made a huge difference.

--

John Crouch
Crouch & Crouch