Re: [CollabLaw] Five-year practice requirement?

  • From: mariaalbafisch@xxxxxxx
  • To: CollabLaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 10:20:18 -0400

We do not have a requirement of years in practice for our mental health providers, but they are all very experienced people. While I think less experienced people need a way to join this effort, I know that years experience makes a major difference in the effectiveness of a clinician (research supports that), and I think it is all the more the case with the collaborative divorce work. On the other hand, I do see less experienced people as offering a fresh energy, and, thereby, a needed optimism. My own inclination would be to provide careful supervision or required mentoring for any new people. In the mental health field, I cannot imagine less than five years of clinical practice being enough for the person to have the experience base from which to operate. Since coaches come from the mental health world, their clinical practices will never be only Collaborative Practice. Therefore, the requirement makes more sense, overall.

Maria Alba-Fisch,PhD
The Collaborative Divorce Team of the Hudson Valley