[cochiselinux] Re: SuSE vs. Red Hat

  • From: Dick Sears <searsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:10:37 -0700

I've got the full set of Core 3 disks, and plan to load
them on a machine at work that is too out of date to issue.

I've been reading complaints that Core 2 is unstable (e.g.,
J.Perlow, Linux Magazine, October 04), and that Fedora should
be updated **weekly** !  I think the author of that statement
may be obsessive-compulsive. One of my colleagues borrowed my
disks to install on a production machine, but I haven't heard
back from him (I've been off since the 21st).

I've been using Firefox almost exclusively, ever since
several CERTs recommended abandonment of MSIE, and one even
went so far as to call MSIE "too dangerous to use."
Occasionally I have no choice, as for example MS updates
for Windows and for ActiveSync.

My only complaint is that Firefox's download manager gives
one no option as to destination - it just dumps things on
the desktop.  There may be a way around that, but I haven't
investigated it. I desperately need to get a round tuit.

Can Firefox be safely loaded onto an unused partition of an
existing XP machine?