[citw150] CITW 150 L3 Q5

  • From: kelley coburn <newfsr4me@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 14:53:55 -0800 (PST)

  Hello,
   While the internet is an amazing tool to use to learn and communicate with
others it can also be used for evil. Some groups such as the KKK and al-Qaida
use the internet for spreading hatred, fear, and violence.  Any one can learn
how to make a weapon or dirty bomb by doing some research. Michael Vatis, an
internet security expert formerly with the Justice Department, lists three ways
the internet can be used by terrorists.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/terrorism/july-dec05/online_8-02.html.  One is
to use it as a resource for spreading propaganda, the second is for operational
communications and the third is to use the internet as a weapon to attack cyber
resources.  As members of the human race we need to decide if anything goes
because of our right to free speech and privacy or if for the greater good, our
speech and privacy can be censored and monitored.
       I supported the provisions in the U.S. Patriot Act
http://www.epic.org/privacy/terrorism/usapatriot/ that allowed the government
to use ?pen registers? and ?trap and trace devices?.  We need to be protected
from groups like al-Qaida, the KKK and people like Timothy McVeigh. I for one
am willing to have some of our civil rights trampled. I believe our founding
fathers designed the constitution to be a living document that allows for
change as our country changes. The internet has changed our world and we may
have to change our ideas about free speech and privacy in order to stay safe in
this new world.

  Kelley Coburn Harris