[citansdnd] Re: unarmed strike

  • From: Diana Jakobs <diana.c.jakobs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citansdnd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:34:20 -0800

Umm, they are using combat rules for this game, otherwise it would be a
straight skill challenge.  Considering the description in the article, and
what we saw in game, this "game" is going to be a brawl  I suspect.  A brawl
in which they can use all their powers (that do as much damage as a bolt out
of the blue in 4th,) and for which these guys are built, they are all going
to be specific unarmed combatants, and, they will have access to *a lot* of
healing from their captain.  If this was another system, yes, that wouldn't
be in the "spirit" of things, but, the thing about 4th is that it is all
equivalent, an arcane striker or martial one generally does the same thing,
lots of damage, with different trappings per their class, the same for all
the other roles.  If we were facing a team of arcane casters that were
similarly limited to us, maybe it would work, we are not, the other team can
make full use of our abilities, while most of our team will be doing melee
basics, and probably missing a lot.

The example with Barrian is a reasonable one, he is one of us that doesn't
have a huge chunk taken out of his powers, and he is still terribly
outmatched by the team captain.  Now think about our Invoker, or our Shaman,
they will have very little they can do at all.  Heck, even Tartarus will
have a full half of all his stuff gone, and he'll have an AC of like 13 to
boot.