[cisb102su01] Re: Telnet Lesson 4_question 4

  • From: SirSethMalow@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Seth M. Malow)
  • To: cisb102su01@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 15:00:43 -0400

I couldn't agree more, John.  Why use telnet if there's an http alternative?
No graphics and difficult commands are definitely serious drawbacks.  The only
thing good about it was its speed (BLAZING!).

Seth Malow

john luny <wjlundyjr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Telnet allows you ta access resources on remote
>mainframe and Unix servers.  I have been a Telnet user
>for years through dumb terminals and other emulators
>(attachmate, hummingbird) for buisness purposes.  This
>was the first time I have used telnet via a
>webbrowser.  Now I know why I never tried using it in
>explorer.
>
>   I struggled using telnet at the
>telnet://134.4.10.106 (caltech site).  I would never
>use telnet if there was a http alternative.  I think
>telnet has its purpose in buisness applications, but
>for the average web user it is not practical at all.
>I doubt if I will ever use telnet via a web browser
>again and I know I will not miss it.
>
>John Lundy
>CISB 102
>
>=====
>John Lundy
>wjlundyjr@xxxxxxxxx

>Terrorist Attacks on U.S. - How can you help?
>Donate cash, emergency relief information
>http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/US/Emergency_Information/

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience
the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape!
http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/