[cisb102su01] E-Bay Online Auction Information READ PLZ

  • From: "Education0001" <education0001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Listserv" <cisb102su01@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 20:57:14 -0500

Mike Root

Internet Literacy

CISB102_81635

Lesson 6

Question 4

Monday, April 01, 2002

=20

4. Online Auctions

=20

Anything I left out TELL ME BEFORE THIS ASSIGNMENT IS DUE PLEASE.

=20

This might get a little repetitive, but everything you need to know will =
be included.

=20

I went the http://www.ebay.com

I clicked on the 'Learn More' tab. I was taken here =
http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/n-learn-more.html?ssPageName=3DHP1Learn=
More to learn how to find items, how to bid on items, how to sell, and =
why Ebay is safe.=20

After a few minutes looking through instructions on how to bid on items =
and how to sell items, I learned that you first need to register as an =
Ebay member by going to =
http://cgi4.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?RegisterShow.=20

I learned to find something, enter a couple of descriptive words in the =
search box located at the top of most Ebay pages.=20
Another option is to browse by going to =
http://pages.ebay.com/buy/index.html.=20

Supposedly you can use your Microsoft Passport account to log in at =
E-bay, but I have had trouble doing so. You'll have to wait on a =
confirmation email to continue with your registration. I can't register =
anyway, I don't have a credit card.

=20

Buying

To buy something through E-Bay, you'll need to register. Go here to =
register http://cgi4.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?RegisterShow

You'll have to give personal and credential information to E-bay. You =
will receive a confirmation email giving you additional instructions and =
address to complete your registration. Once you have registered, you can =
buy and sell anything.=20

=20

For additional help on how to buy, go here =
http://pages.ebay.com/help/buyerguide/bp-buyer.html

=20

Click the Browse button to browse the categories E-bay classifies it's =
item through.=20

You will see a list of featured items and then numerous categories.  You =
can select a category that fits your interest and look at what items are =
up for bids.=20

Also, you can search E-bay by using the Search dialog box. Just type in =
a couple words describing the item you want to find. When you find an =
item you want to buy, you have to choices. Place a bid in the "Your =
Maximun Bid" dialog box. If your bid is the highest bid on that item, =
it's yours.=20

Also, you can click the Buy It Now tab in the Listings page and search =
through items that have a set price and once it is reached, you can buy =
it, hands down. So,  lets say you wanted to buy a Harry Potter book and =
10 people were bidding on it. Their highest bid was $50.00, but the Buy =
It Now price was $100.00. If you bid $100.00, the book is yours, just =
like that.=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

Selling

=20

First, you'll need to register, if you haven't done so already.

Second, Create a Seller's Account at eBay and you're ready to sell! You =
can also automatically sign up to accept credit cards or electronic =
checks through eBay Payments by Billpoint.

Next, gather the info you'll need: your item description, your photos - =
pictures saved on your computer can be added to your listing right from =
the Sell Your Item form OR enter the URL (Web site address) for photos =
hosted on the Web. There is a photo tutorial available here =
http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/phototut-index.html, and the category =
you'll list under.

=20

Finally, Then, click on the Sell button at the top of any page. This =
will bring you to the Sell your Item  form. Once you fill in all the =
necessary information, you're ready to sit back and watch your very own =
auction progress.

=20

=20

=20

For my example, I picked Electronic Components under the Business, =
Office, and Industrial category. I clicked on the first items for sale, =
a 600V 100A Transfer Switch for a Generator, Item # 1716741512. Go here =
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3D1716741512 before =
Apr-04-02 8:14:45 PST to look at or bid on this item.

You also have instructions on this page.

Go here to register =
http://cgi4.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?RegisterShow

Go here to learn about the seller of this item =
http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=3Db.critch

Go here to learn more about this item and how to pay for it =
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3D1716741512#PAYMENT

Go here to contact the seller of this item =
http://contact.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ReturnUserEmail&requested=3D=
b.critch

=20

You can find out how other users rated thisuser by going here =
http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=3Db.critch

=20

You can go here to look at this users other auctions =
http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=3Db.crit=
ch&include=3D0&since=3D-1&sort=3D2&rows=3D25

=20

Man, I am telling you what - you need a credit card to register, and I =
can't. So, I can't view this user. I don't know how to get around it, I =
have tried more than 20 times to register, and it hasn't worked. I'm =
thinking, if I register, and use my credit card,  I can click on this =
users name and find out his personal information like where he lives, =
his phone number, and his email. Stuff like that.

=20

I can go here =
http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=3D1716741512 to =
look at the bid history, and see these details.

=20

      Bidding History (Highest bids first)=20
    =20

=20

      User ID=20
     Bid Amount=20
     Date of Bid=20
    =20

=20

      aquadyne-generators (28)=20
     -=20
     Mar-30-02 10:50:07 PST
    =20

=20

      ehf (1)
     -=20
     Mar-26-02 19:39:45 PST
    =20

=20

Again, I absolutely cannot log into this site, so I can't click on those =
user names and find anything out. Sometimes I hate computers. I know =
these users rating and the time they placed their bid.

=20

This item has had 2 bids so far.

=20

Here are some details about this auction=20

=20

      Currently=20
     US $350.00   (reserve met)=20
     =20
     First bid=20
     US $100.00
    =20
      Quantity=20
     1
     =20
     # of bids=20
     2   bid history=20
    =20
      Time left=20
     2 days, 14 hours +=20
     =20
     Location=20
     St.John's ,NF=20
    =20
      =20
     =20
     =20
     Country=20
     Canada
    =20
      Started=20
     Mar-25-02 08:14:45 PST=20
     =20
     =20
    =20
      Ends=20
     Apr-04-02 08:14:45 PST=20
     =20
     =20
     =20
    =20

=20

=20

Anything I left out TELL ME BEFORE THIS ASSIGNMENT IS DUE PLEASE.

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

Mike Root
Student=20
Maple Valley Alternative Education