[cisb102sp02] CISB 102 Lesson 4 Q4

  • From: Nathan Feldpausch <natef10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CISB 102 List <cisb102sp02@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 21:39:10 -0700 (PDT)

I learned at
http://oregonstate.edu/aw/tutorials/telnet/ that
Telnet allows you to remotely access a computer over
the Internet. And once connected you can tell that
computer to create, edit, execute and delete files
just as if you were sitting at that computer (of
course if you have permission).  It can also be used
to access information such as searching the Library of
Congress Information System (telnet://140.147.254.3).
At LOCIS I search for legislation that pertained to
deer hunting.  One thing I found annoying at this site
was that when I typed in commands they did't appear on
the screen.  But when I hit enter, the command
executed.  This made it difficult to see if I typed in
the commands right.

Another thing I found interesting is that you can use
UNIX commands in telnet.  I am currently taking a
Linux class.

Nathan Feldpausch

http://taxes.yahoo.com/