[cifnmedia] City's fire sirens are ringing less

  • From: <gmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sean Aaron" <cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Brad Dietrick" <bradfurniturefirst@xxxxxxxxxxx>,<cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 09:02:13 -0400

Published: May 24, 2004 - 09:06:38 pm EDT
City's fire sirens are ringing less
By Dave Ryan, Daily Banner

CAMBRIDGE - This city is growing, but it just got a lot quieter. Rescue Fire
Company (RFC) Chief Bill Watkins said Monday the fire sirens are sounding fewer
oscillations.

"This is an effort to satisfy the public," he said.

A decision was made at a meeting last week to change the number of oscillations
for various events. There will be one for a medical assistance call; two for a
minor fire; three for rescue; and eight for a major fire.

The major fires were the ones that led to the public's request for less - there
used to be 16 oscillations for those. For a two-alarm fire or even a request
for more equipment, that meant a lot of ringing, sometimes late at night.

"Public concern was growing," Chief Watkins said. "It's pretty obnoxious when
it blows 40 times."

Once the county's new radio system comes online, probably in September, the
chief said, RFC might further reduce the oscillations.

"I hope people recognize the fact we're listening to them," he said.

Managing Editor Dave Ryan can be reached at (410) 228-3131 ext. 23 or
banrnews@xxxxxxxxxxxx