[CHS-L } Re: TIGERS 49 Ste. Genevieve 42

  • From: billiefaye king <billiefayeking@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "chs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <chs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 03:16:54 -0700 (PDT)

AWESOME job Tigers...Thank you Keith!!!

On Saturday, October 26, 2013 3:49 AM, W. Keith Currie <wkcurrie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

October 25, 2013  Caruthersville  49  Ste. Genevieve  42

A clear but very cold night in Ste. Genevieve (hereinafter referred to as SG)
as our Tigers took on a very tough SG team.  Temperatures may have been in the
30s, but the offenses were on fire in the first half which ended with the score
knotted at 35-35.  The defenses warmed up in the 2nd half, and the 3rd quarter
would come to an end with the score tied at 42-42.  The Tigers defense would
make a couple of crucial stops in the 4th quarter, shutting out SG, while the
Tiger offense scored the lone TD of the quarter, winning an amazingly exciting
game, 49-42!

My wife told me almost an hour ago that it is too late to type my summary, but
I just had to type something tonight.  Perhaps tomorrow (or later today, that
is) I will add a more detailed summary, but just let me say "what a game"!

I should also apologize to the SG fans...my program is out in my car, so I will
just refer to your players by #...no disrespect intended.

The Tigers just seemed to have no defensive answer to SG's double-tight, option
based offense, as SG methodically moved the ball throughout the 1st half.  But
the Tigers answered with big plays.  Neither team ever lead by more than a TD,
as the teams literally traded scores throughout the night.

A lot of offense to follow, but I must first mention defense.  SG had the ball
1st and goal from the Tigers' 10, but the Tigers defense, led by Joey
Middleton, Malik Monroe, Jamal Johnson, Abdul Johnson, Darrell Monroe, Grant
Marshall, and the entire Tigers defense would hold SG without letting them
score.  On 4th and goal, it was "P Faulk", Peyton Faulkner, making a beautiful
open field tackle, saving the TD, dropping the SG receiver at the Tigers 8.

The Tigers would then strike first on a remarkable 92 yard run by Darrell
Monroe, with 3:23 remaining in the 1st quarter.  The PAT failed.  Tigers 6  SG 0

SG answered quickly, with #31 scoring with 1:15 left in the first.  The PAT by
#9 gave SG a 7-6 lead.

There would be 8 TDs scored in the 2nd quarter, with each team scoring 4.

With 11:33 remaining in the 2nd quarter, SG scored #23 getting the TD from 4
yards out.  #9 added the PAT giving SG a 14-6 lead, and causing much
nervousness to the Tigers faithful.

However, the Tigers answered quickly.  Tigers QB Tyler Grissom would rush for
47 yards down to the SG 9 yardline.  Jamal Johnson scored from there with 10:49
left in the half.  Monroe powered his way in for the 2point conversion,
knotting things up at 14-14.

SG would regain the lead on a 15 yard TD run by #23.  #9 added the PAT giving
SG the 14-21 lead.

Tyler McCaig returned the kickoff to the SG 46.  On 1st down, Tyler Grissom
powered his way through the SG defenders and raced 46 yards into the endzone.
Colt Callens added the PAT, tying the game 21-21, with 8:47 left in the half.

It took SG forever (ok, only about 4 minutes) to regain the lead, when #23
scored on a 1 yard run.  #9 added the PAT again putting SG in the lead, 21-28,
with 4:17 left in the 2nd.

The Tigers would start from their own 15 after a touchback on the kickoff, and
then a false start penalty.  Monroe carried for 7 yards on 1st down...and for
78 on 2nd down.  A run that you just had to see to believe.  He ran up the
middle and was knocked off his feet, flipped over (never being "down"), raced
to the outside, put an old school stiff-arm on a defender and then outrace
everybody to the house. Callens added the PAT, and again we were tied, 28-28,
with 3:31 left in the half.

SG would respond (thanks to a Tiger offsides penalty giving them a 1st down on
4th and short), and also assisted by a 31 yard run by #23, and an 11 yard run
by #31.  #23 would take it in for the score from 4 yards out, and #9 added the
PAT, again giving SG the lead, 28-35 with just 0:45 left in the half.

SG kicked off, with the Tigers receiving the kick and stepping out of bounds at
the Tigers' 15.  A Tiger false start penalty moved the ball back to the 10, and
with less than 35 seconds remaining surely the Tigers couldn't cover the 90
yards to the endzone...or could they?  Monroe carried for 38 yards out to the
Tigers' 48.  Grissom spiked the ball with 0:22 left in the half...time for 2 or
3 plays.  The Tigers just needed 1 play, as Grissom threw the ball about 40
yards downfield, where Monroe made an acrobatic catch, kept his balance and
stumbled into the endzone with 0:07 seconds remaining.  Callens added the PAT,
knotting it up at 35-35!

Trevonne Leatherwood's kickoff pinned SG deep in their own territory, SG took a
knee, and a most exciting half of high school football was over.

It sure looked like the 2nd half was going to pick up right where the 1st half
ended as SG took the kickoff and methodically marched downfield. SG's QB #11
had the big run of the drive, carrying the ball for 41 yards to the Tigers' 3
before being knocked out of bounds by Monroe.  #31 would take it in for the
score from 3 yards out.  #9 added the PAT.  SG would lead, but for the last
time, 35-42 with 9:20 left in the 3rd.

Tyler McCaig put the Tigers in good field position, returning the kick to the
Tigers' 45.  Monroe ran for 24 yards.  Grissom carried for 8.  Rod Jones ran
for 9 yards, and then again for 2 yards.  Hunter Trevathan slipped down for a 1
yard gain.  Monroe was then stacked up for a loss of 2.  Grissom would then
take it in from 13 yards out.  Callens added the PAT, locking things up, 42-42,
with 6:02 to go in the 3rd quarter.  From there on out, the teams would trade a
couple of possessions with no scoring.

The 4th quarter would begin much as the 1st quarter began, with a big defensive
play from the Tigers defense.  On 4th and 2, Landon Stricklin dropped the SG
ballcarrier for a 1 yard gain, giving the Tigers the ball.  The Tigers appeared
to be poised to take the lead, moving the ball all the way down to the SG 4
yardline, but a strong SG defense and a costly Tiger penalty would force the
Tigers to give the ball over on downs.

The Tiger defense would force SG to punt after 3 downs, and the Tigers would
begin from their own 35 yardline, with Monroe on the sideline!

Rodrick Jones would carry the ball for 12 yards to the 47. Grissom then carried
for 5 yards to the SG 48.  Jones moved the ball to the 47.  Grissom then passed
to a leaping Colt Callens, for 15 yards to the 32.  Jones then ran for 7 to the
25.  Then, on 2nd and 3, Jones raced around the right end and dived into the
endzone, scoring from 25 yards out!  Callens added the PAT, giving the Tigers
the lead 49-42 with 3:26 remaining in the game. (Our first lead since it was
6-0)

SG moved the ball into Tiger territory quickly, and with 1:29 remaining had the
ball at the Tigers' 28.  Malik Monroe forced a SG fumble, causing a loss of 11
back to the Tigers' 39.  Now out of timeouts, SG was forced to go to the air.
It didn't work as SG threw 3 incomplete passes and turned the ball over on
downs with 0:31 left in the game.

Grissom would take a knee, and the clock would expire.  TIGERS  49  Ste.
Genevieve  42---FINAL

The win pushes the Tigers record to 7-1, and assures them of the #1 seed in
Class 2 District 1, assuring the Tigers homefield advantage at Hopke Field
throughout District Play (the 1st 3 games).

According to the "official Caruthersville statistician" here are a few C'ville
stats:
Darrell Monroe:
16 rushes for 270 yards and 2 TDs;
2 catches for 63 yards and 1 TD;
1 return for 42 yards.
375 yards on 19 touches and 3 TDs.
7 solo tackles; 2 assists; and 1.5 tackles for loss.

Tyler Grissom had 10 carries for 124 yards and 2 TDs, and the TD pass to Monroe.

Rod Jones had 7 carries for 57 yards and 1 TD (the game winner).

Jamal Johnson had 3 carries for 51 yards and 1 TD. Jamal also had 13 solo
tackles and 6 assists.

Abdul Johnson had 10 tackles and 8 assists.

Several great individual efforts and a great win for the Tigers as a team!

Congratulations to all of the Tigers, and the Tiger coaching staff:  Head Coach
Nathan Morgan, Brad Treece, Stacy Bradshaw and Jimmy Jackson.  Great, great job
of making the much needed adjustments which allowed to Tigers to get the W!

W. Keith Currie
CHS Class of 1983