[chilefuturo] ¿hay algo que hacer?

  • From: Carlos Contreras <clubcientifico@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chilefuturo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:07:13 -0400

copio entrevista :

*Interview with James Howard
Kunstler*<http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/01/interview-with-james-howard-ku.html>
*Kurt Cagle, O'Reilly Broadcast*
James Howard Kunstler first came to my attention a couple of years ago with
his publication of The Long Emergency, a look at the problems of
suburbanization and the coming economic shocks that were likely to come as
oil production peaked globally and started to decline.

... KC: What role can technologists - programmers, scientists, engineers and
inventors - play in helping to ameliorate the changes that you foresee
happening?

JHK: Personally, I think one of our biggest ailments now is the
techno-grandiosity displayed by people in the tech sector. There's some
notion that just because we can move pixels around a screen with a mouse,
that all the woes of mankind will yield to a set of techno tricks. This is
dangerous fucking nonsense. It's especially appalling in those who are
desperately trying to rescue the Happy Motoring system by seeking to
engineer cars that run on something other than fossil fuels.

For instance, the Rocky Mountain Institute, supposedly an "environmental"
organization, has put its cred and muscle behind the development of a
"hypercar." What fucking idiocy. It only promotes the idea that we ought to
continue being car dependent! This kind of thing drives me nuts. Of course,
I'm not anti tech or anti science -- I just think we've lost ourselves in
fantasies of omnipotence that are very pernicious. What tech has to do now
is re-engineer local, small-scaled living -- the systems we depend on -- so
we can live in a manner consistent with our ecology, with the reality-based
energy diet of the decades-to-come. The techies for the most part are not so
interested in this. Just look at the assholes in NASA who are still
fantasizing about space travel when we need to teach tens of millions of
Americans how to garden!
*Kurt Cagle is an Online Editor for O'Reilly Media.*
(14 January 2009)

¿alguno de ustedes cree que algunas personas en Chile conscientes del futuro
que viviremos, o estan todos convencidos que hay que hacer crecer la
economía construyendo mas carreteras, hospitales, aeropuertos y obras
públicas ?
--
Carlos Contreras, presidente
Club Científico de Peñalolén, Santiago, CHILE