[chaoscope] Re: non-devart hosting

  • From: Chaoscope <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 01:54:12 +0100

Hi Kaze, hello all,

to the rest, i seem to remember something a while back about images being given their own list, since at the time we were sharing so many the servers weren't liking us.

Yes, our mailing-list file grew out of proportion to become the biggest one on freelists servers. It's been sorted a while ago.

is that still in existence? at the time i hadn't been sharing anything, so i didn't volunteer for auto sign-up

See //www.freelists.org/archives/chaoscope/09-2004/msg00037.html for reference.

The new "image only" list submission has been refused on the grounds that it was redundant (there's already a list related to Chaoscope). JPGs attachments are allowed, there are many FreeLists based mailing lists that use this feature but I don't want our list to turn into a Chaoscope picture forum.

Firstly, you need to keep in mind that everytime you attach a file, it is sent to all the 215 current subscribers which means a 100Kb file will cost FreeLists 21.5Mb in bandwidth. I think sending a link is a much more efficient way to share your creations. Also I'd hate to see Freelists having to ask for a registration fee to support bandwidth costs.
Secondly, there are web sites that do a much better job of offering a space for your computer art, we've named a few already.

By the way, and as much as possible, if you want to praise the talent of a user, do it privately (rather than on the mailing-list) as it is relevant to the recipient only.

Thanks!

Nicolas Desprez