[chaoscope] by request, mini mini how-to

  • From: Axone Man <axoneman01@xxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 05:05:32 +0200

Hi everybody

Chaoscope a écrit :

François: Best Chaoscope Solid rendering gallery on the web, as far as I know. And I'm not saying this just because you've been praising my own work for the last three years. :-)
Where are the parameters though?
Also, do you think you'd be able to put together a tutorial or a "how-to" for Solid search/rendering?

Thanks for all your comments, Nicolas and all others. You want the parameters? No problem. I'll put all them soon on the web site, like this you'll have some starting points for your experiments ;-)
And now, by request, the way to produce a solid with a finish touch.
First of all, I'm not a math guru, not at all, all the pictures are produced by random, by moving the sliders, by the F3 key and by a lot of rendering time...
Here's my "method":
When a type of attractor is choosen I hit the magic key F3 until I find a good seed. Then, I begin to move the sliders. When the result is better (not each time...), I reduce the random parameter to 1 (one) and I exclude some parameters from the random research. Some F3 and orientations testings later the nice picture is here.
One other way to find good pictures is to go "over the limits". Some parameters are hard coded on the form -1 to 1 or -pi to pi and so on. Hopefuly it's just a false limit and you can input any value you like, even far beyond the "normal" limits. You can try a value of 300 where the 'official limit' is one or two, even 10000 or more, just try. Sometimes it works!! I like to block one or more parameters out of the limits and launch F3 with 100% of randomness. If Chaoscope finds an interesting shape, I reduce the randomness to 1 and hit F3 again until I find something or... I resign ;-)
So, find an interesting picture is not difficult, but until now it's just rendered with the 20e6 iterations by default. And here is the BIG difference between the solid mode and others. If you can have a good and really finished picture with light or plasma mode with only 20e6 iterations, maybe you'll need 1e9 or more to achieve a really good solid render. I usualy use 1e9 (1 000 000 000) iterations minimum but sometimes I need the maximum (more than 4e9) especially when I zoom. The more you zoom the more you need a big number of iterations. Obviously this phase is very time consuming but can be done when I sleep or in background. On some pictures the rendering time can reach 3 hours. The other parameter I change is the transparency, I put it to 50, it's even the first thing I change, it's my 'default' parameter for transparency. Sometimes, rarely, I add some rugosity. So, the big piece is just time but 3 hours or even more is not a problem if the result is OK for me. Do you remember the time Fractint needed to give a good picture on a pentium 2? How long is Pov-Ray to produce a ray-traced quaternion, even on a high-end machine? There is no secret, if you want a nice solid render you must pass some time, sorry, your computer must pass some time.
Hope it helps, just my 2 cents... of Euro ;-)
Have FUN
François
Axone Man
http://axoneman01.free.fr/