[chaoscope] Web site timing out - read-proofing on hold

  • From: Chaoscope <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 15:07:51 +0100

Hello all,

this is an answer to both posts by Hans-Joachim and Anton.

I've reported the poor response time of the web site to my ISP support newsgroup. It appears I'm not the only one who've come across the problem. There's little I can do about it apart from waiting for BT to sort it out.

Lowering the thumbnails compression quality (currently 70%) would certainly improve the gallery download time, but it wouldn't be a solution to the high delays we're seeing, which occur even on image-less pages (when the header picture is already stored in your cache). Besides, colours are always the first to suffer from high compression ratio, they look washed out. If there's one thing I hate in life is highly compressed thumbnailed pictures. :-)

However I guess there's room for improvement, I'll look into tweaking the compression ratio for some of the thumbnails.

There's no point carrying on proof-reading and testing the site because delays will cause errors (i.e. on scripts) which wouldn't have happened otherwise.

I'll let you know when the site is back to normal.

Thanks for your help!

Nicolas Desprez