[chaoscope] [OT] Automating Chaoscope search with Macro Express... or others

  • From: Axone Man <axoneman01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 04:35:14 +0200

Hi every chaoscopers

Firts of all, woah, the list is living again! Very nice pictures! Thanks for sharing.
Scripting Chaoscope is a pretty good idea! The bayesian filter could even be implemented in scripting langage ;-) More seriously it could be a way to program anims while the "batch" feature is not implemented in Chaoscope. I'm very interested by your scripts.
Scripting applications is a kind of "violon d'Ingres" for me, so I'm going to test Macro Express. The scripting tool I like to use is "AutoIt", with it and it's dedicated RAD tool you can script anything installed on your computer or program an application. It should be possible with Chaoscope of course.
AutoIt (1.7 Mo):
http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/
RAD tool to easily design your GUI, Scite4AutoIt: (2.5 Mo):
http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/
All these tools are free. More, with AutoIt you can bundle the VM and a script in a standalone autoexecutable (.exe).
Just my two cents ;-)

Have FUN !!!
François
Axone Man

Chaoscope a écrit :

Hi Daniel, hello all,

It is called Macro Express. They have a 30-day free trial, but I am going to register it as soon as I can get the money together. It can record both keystrokes as well as mouse strokes and has a lot of programming functionality in it as well. I have it set to ask me how many I want (I will already have Chaoscope open and have a type and resolution set) and it generates the attractor and photo with matching date/time stamp in the file name. Some are "keepers", and some are just starting out points. I really like having the thumnail to go to though to see what it is going to look like. If you decide to try it, I can post the scripts that I use. One is the looping generation script and two others are used just for saving the attractor and/or photo with the unique file name.

Thanks for your contribution. I've had a look at Macro Express and it looks pretty good, too bad they don't have a "free for non-commercial use" type of license.
I've been thinking of a feature similar to what you describe. Having Chaoscope running in the background, searching and saving each attractor along with a small thumbnail, let you review the results (through something like the "Thumbail View" in Windows 2000/XP) and hand pick which ever you want to see closer.
We could even teach Chaoscope which attractors are the most visually appealing by feeding the manual selection into a Bayesian filter or a neural network. In the meantime, and considering how slow 0.3 development has been going, I think we're better off using your macro. :-)

Can you compile it as an executable and release it royalty-free?

Nicolas Desprez