[chaoscope] Re: Hyperthreading and dual core CPUs

  • From: Christian Weiß <cweiss@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 10:54:40 +0200

Wow.
I wonder how fast Chaoscope will run on a quad core machine.

Says the man who is still working with a single core AMD 3,2 GHz ;)

Regards

Christian

Hi all,

thanks to Scott, Alan and John for their input on HyperThreading.

Charles, sorry for the technical mumbo jumbo, I can get carried away sometimes! :) What it all meant was Chaoscope will run noticeably faster on multi core processors, like Intel's Core Duo or AMD's Athlon 64 X2. For instance the first benchmark project completes in 11 seconds instead of 16 on my machine, and I have yet to optimize the code. Also, given you have enough memory, subsequent renders of an attractor will read the points from the RAM rather than iterate the equation. Calculating the equation for each point can be a very time consuming operation. The first render the 15th benchmark project takes 10 seconds, subsequent cached renders (providing you don't modify any attractor parameters) only take 2, which means that if this project was to be animated it would be rendered five times faster.

Regards,

Nicolas Desprez