[chaoscope] Re: ESC key to stop search and rendering

  • From: Chaoscope <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 01:18:25 +0100

Hi James, hello all,

 My perfect interface would be something like the following, where keys
 are grouped together.

 F3 = Search
 F4 = Stop Search

 F5 = Start Render
 F6 = Stop Render

 F7 = Adjust
 F8 = Center

 Esc would certainly be a nice addition (so Esc functions like F4 and
 F6), but only if the user so chose.  A simple interface allowing a user
 to either have Esc function as a universal stop, or not, would be very
 cool, but perhaps out of the programming perspective at this time.

I thought about making ESC a user option but I don't think it would be a very ergonomic design. Either the whole interface is customizable, or it is not.

 Either way, I would definitely suggest that 'Shift + ' keys be removed,
 since there are still plenty of keys on the keyboard unused...  Of
 course, thinking about what other keys may be used in future versions
 (z perhaps for turning zoom on or off, r for turning rotate/revolve
 on/off, etcetera) is always nice :D  Of course, François's suggestion
 of using Ctrl, Shift, Alt, would work as well (instead of an on/off
 key)...

That's the whole point of grouping current actions on a limited amount of keys. I'm thinking about using other F keys for bringing up the gradient editor and the light editor, the IFS graphic editor, etc.

Chaoscope planning is pretty loose and I haven't a definitive set of features, let alone their shortcuts. It will evolve from one release to the other. I believe we should wait until the last release before 1.0 and then discussing whether Crtl+Alt+Shift+F12 is the best shortcut for Undo and if it can be achieved with just one hand. :-)

Nicolas Desprez