[channelf] Re: New Bios

  • From: "Sean Riddle" <seanriddle@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <channelf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 16:05:53 -0500

Hey guys-

        Somewhere around here, probably in a box (I haven't used it for 3 or
4 years, but I don't think I cannibalized it), I have a cart dumper that can
also read the DIP PSUs, and can dump the contents out the serial port or
save them to a serial EEPROM on the dumper.  Some people sent me their
carts, and I sent the dumper to a couple of guys to get the last remaining
carts.  I'd recommend sending the chip to me, since I'm familiar with the
dumper and would make sure not to damage the chip, but if that's not an
option, I can send the dumper.  It requires a 12V DC power supply.  I sent a
"wall-wart" with it when I sent it out before, but that's for US mains.

        The cart dumper uses a PIC 16F84; I'm happy to send the source code
if someone wants to build their own.  You've got to toggle the Phi, Write
and ROMC3 signals repeatedly to dump the contents to the data bus one byte
at a time.

        Check out fpgaarcade.com.  MikeJ has put many old consoles and
arcade video games into FPGAs.  I'm sure the entire Channel F and all the
carts would fit into one FPGA with no problem.  But someone would have to
design the F8 chips, since I haven't seen those cores anywhere.

Sean