[ceevol] Statistics and Biodiversity Science Workshop

  • From: "Dempster, Jane" <j.dempster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ceevol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ceevol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LERN LondonEvolution <londonevolution@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 11:17:38 +0000

For All CEE, LERN and GEE members

Hi all
We are starting a joint initiative with the some of the statisticians here at
UCL and Microsoft Research to think about how their methods can help us
understand biodiversity data better and how our data can help them develop
their methods further. The first of two workshops will be held on
17<x-apple-data-detectors://0>th<x-apple-data-detectors://0>
October<x-apple-data-detectors://0> at the Mappin Pavillon, ZSL. All welcome
but please sign up if you are interested so we have some idea of numbers for
catering etc.
http://statisticsandbiodiversityworkshop.eventbrite.com/
Best wishes
Kate

Collaborative opportunities for computational statistics and biodiversity
science
Aim: This workshop is for both the leading UCL statistical and machine learning
researchers and the leading UK biodiversity scientists (Zoological Society of
London, Microsoft Research Cambridge, UCL Department of Genetics, Evolution and
Environment and CoMPLEX UCL). We will explore how to strike up efficient and
mutually beneficial collaborations that will really challenge the state of the
art methods and biodiversity science. This workshop will establish
collaborations between Zoological Society of London, Microsoft Research and UCL
with a view to forming an ‘Advanced Technology for Nature Unit’
(www.technologyfornature.org<http://www.technologyfornature.org/>).
Background: Wild nature is declining rapidly as humans use more of earth’s
resources. Better tools are needed to document, monitor, and conserve wildlife
populations. Advances in methods to collect biodiversity data (such as global
citizen science programmes) are creating a critical need for better statistical
approaches to process and analyze this information. From a computational
statistics perspective, these new biodiversity data sources are presenting a
challenge to available tools and there is a great opportunity to develop new
methodological approaches.
The workshop will be written up as a ‘Workshop Report’ in Biology Letters with
all the participants as authors.

Professor Kate Jones
Chair of Ecology and Biodiversity
University College London and Zoological Society of London
Rm 110, Darwin Building
Gower Street
London, WC1E 6BT

Tel: +44 (0)20 31084230, Web: