[cdvdburn] Re: Lite-On SOHW-1693S DVDRW

  • From: Gary Locock <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cdvdburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 17:30:46 +0000 (GMT)

In article <3b7af6e24d.SoftInfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jeremy Brayshaw
<jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <4de1163158gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Gary Locock <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           wrote:

> > Second, there seems to be a problem with recognising the discs.  After
> > burning the first disc successfully, I had several failures.  The
> > software would go through all the motions, counting down the % indicator,
> > and eventually the 'disc successfully written' banner would come up.  The
> > only difference from normal was that the drawer was not ejected when the
> > banner appeared, and when extracted the disc was completely blank.  It
> > appears that the hardware had also 'gone through the motions', but
> > hardware or software had forgotten to switch on the laser!

> I've experienced the symptoms you describe, but I tracked it down to the
> ISO image file being just a bit too big for the DVD disc.

[Snip]

Thanks for the suggestion Jeremy, but it cannot be exactly that, because the
image file is only 1265MB, while the disc capacity is 4GB IIRC.  However I
agree with the similarity of the symptoms, and agree that it does /seem/ to
point towards how CDVDB recognises the disc, or not.

> My solution is to take a file or two out of the original list, then
> re-build the ISO image.

Here's a bit of serendipity I wasn't expecting.  We are using !CDROMFS now,
and I was surprised to discover (by accident) that by double-clicking the
ISOImage file, the contents are readable!  I vaguely STR reading about this
somewhere, but I had forgotten.  A useful feature (if only they could be
writeable as well!).  As well as checking image contents, it is possible to
verify image contents in this way by dragging them to a null device window,
though whether this is useful or not I don't know.  (I always do this for
burned discs in any case)

Steffen seems to be away ATM, but a happy New Year to you and him when he
comes back

Gary

--
Gary Locock, Network Manager, Bablake Junior School
Coundon Road, Coventry CV1 4AU

---
[This E-mail has been scanned for viruses but it is your responsibility
to maintain up to date anti virus software on the device that you are
currently using to read this email. ]