[ccoss] Glastonbury library Internet connection question

  • From: Christopher Paulin <cpaulin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ccoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 20:05:25 -0500

I met with the Glastonbury librarian, Sue Jensen, this morning to see
how to connect to the Internet from the Friends Room, the room where we
meet, and she showed me a Windows laptop that was able to access the
Internet but one which we cannot use. It uses an Ethernet card, and the
card's TCP/IP properties has the gateway set to an address, the DNS
host, domain, and DNS server search order set, and the IP address not
set (probably assigned through DHCP). I copied down those data. Also,
that connection is inside the town's firewall.

I think there is a good possibility we'll be able to connect to the
Internet using Linux, but I want to know what others think. What I was
thinking was that we'd set the gateway as the default route, enable
dhcpcd (the DHCP client daemon) and comment out the static IP, and add
the DNS information in resolv.conf. Is that correct? Is there anything
else? I can ask the librarian questions and maybe test it.

For the meeting, I was planning on bringing my desktop computer running
SuSE 8.1, the one I'm using now. My laptop keyboard's ribbon cable is
disconnected from the motherboard, and I have to come up with a creative
way to create new line contacts that fit in the motherboard's slot's
pins. If I can map the Fn key of my external keyboard to the Fn key
function, then I can switch the display to both the internal LCD and the
external monitor (the overhead projector) and bring my laptop, which is
running Slackware 8.0 and Linux kernel 2.2.19. The external keyboard Fn
key currently doesn't do anything.

I'll be gone all day (7:30 AM to 1 AM) on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
for the Landmark Forum (http://www.landmarkeducation.com), only coming
home for sleeping and cooking, so I'm getting ready now for Monday's
meeting.

Christopher Paulin