[cas_announce] CAS Program & Stargaze this Saturday 7/28 8:30pm

  • From: Craig Niemi <craig_niemi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Announce CAS_ <cas_announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:26:16 -0700 (PDT)

Dear CAS Members and Volunteers,
Our next public/member stargaze is coming up Saturday July 28th, 8:30-11pm at
the CAS headquarters. CAS's own John Ventre will present "Rocks From Space".
His
 talk begins at 8:30pm followed by Q&A on any and all astronomical
topics and stargazing through the CAS scopes. John gives a great
presentation and always brings an amazing display of meteorites!

Volunteers
 are needed to run the scopes, greet visitors (offer memberships) and
answer general questions. If you're available please drop me a note. If
you're interested in volunteering, but not sure what all is involved,
come on up and shadow one of the more experienced volunteers. The more
the merrier. It's fun and easy. Thanks for everyone who has already offered to
help out and make the evening another success.

Volunteer areas include:      Scope Operators for the:16"14"LX2008" Clark
Astro-Ambassadors:Welcome /Check-in/membership info (1 or 2 folks)Kid's
ActivitiesVisitors Q&A

CAS
 members, friends and family are welcome to come join in on the talk and
 stargazing. Volunteering is not a requirement of attending.
Hope to see you there,CraigCAS Outreach Co-chair

Rocks
From Space!

On any
clear night you might see a handful of “shooting stars” streaking across the
night sky. Long ago people thought the stars were actually falling from the
sky. Now we know these brief streaks in the night sky, called meteors, are tiny
bits of solar system debris most of it smaller than a pea. Entering the Earth’s
thin upper atmosphere at thousands of miles an hour, heat from friction
completely vaporizes the intruders. Much of this debris comes from the tail of
comets.

On the morning of February 12, 1947 startled witnesses
reported seeing a fireball brighter than the sun streaking across the Russian
skies. Traveling at over 31,000 miles an hour the meteor plummeted down to
15,000 feet where it violently exploded from the stress of the heating and
atmospheric
shock. Over more than a half a square mile area debris impacted the ground
leaving 80 foot diameter craters 20 feet deep. This was something much bigger
than comet dust, It is estimated that the meteor weighed over 200,000 pounds
before it exploded. This was the same type of meteor that created Meteor Crater
in Arizona. Imagine how large that meteor must have been to create a crater
nearly a mile across and deeper than a skyscraper?

Join the Cincinnati Astronomical Society Saturday July 28th
from 8:30 to 11pm for a family program on Rocks From Space!

• Get up close to spectacular Rocks from Space!

• Learn what meteorites are made of.

• Hold in your hands rocks older than our Solar System!

• Does Ohio
have its own Meteor Crater?

• If there are meteor showers can there be a meteor storm?

• Can you hear meteors coming?

• Find out how best and where to see the meteor shower in
August.

• Did you know you can collect “rocks from space” at home?

• View through the Society’s big telescopes! (weather
permitting)

For 101 years the Cincinnati Astronomical Society’s mission
has been education offering a wide variety of programs for school groups,
scouts, adults and club members.

Saturday
     July 28th Program
     begins at 8:30pm.  Viewing
      follows after 9:30pm (weather permitting)Free Admission; Donations
appreciated.Open to all ages.No reservations required.All
     events are held at The Cincinnati Astronomical Society

5274 Zion Rd. Cleves, OH
      45002   (near the Mitchell Memorial Forest)

Visit our website and Facebook for a
listing of all our public, scout and school events for 2011.

http://www.cinastro.org