<CT> Re: ISDN / TDSL with Windows 3.11/Calmira ? / Re: NT 3.51 and the shell

  • From: JGrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx (Stephan Grossklass)
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 21:28:19 +0100

> Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 18:07:47 +0100
> From: Klaus.Osswald@xxxxxxxxxxx (Klaus Osswald)
> Subject: <CT> Re: ISDN / TDSL with Windows 3.11/Calmira ?

> thanks a lot for your abundant information
> regarding ISDN/TDSL with Windows 3.11/Calmira.

"Abundant" seems to be a pretty relative term ;).

> > instead. DSL is not much more complicated - a DSL router with integrated
> > PPPoE support is the main component here.
>
> Yeah, but if I understand right this means that I have to turn machine into
>
> a DSL router which I can't do with a Win 3.11, right ?

Nope. What you need in addition to your machine is a DSL router with
PPPoE support. It doesn't really matter what is used as router - it can
be a hardware DSL router (advantages: small, don't generate much heat
and noise, now and then a switch for using multiple computers is
integrated, and sometimes [as in ours] there are some functions for
blocking ports so your network shares aren't accessible from all over
the net; disadvantages: rather co$tly [EUR 150 up, I think]), a PC
dedicated to DSL routing (such as some DX/2-66 with 8 megs+ of memory -
fli4l seems to be quite popular here; advantages: cheap; disadvantages:
at least minitower size, often requires modifications for really quiet
operation [quiet, perhaps temperature controlled fan in the PSU - high
voltage in there]) or a PC which is used for both work and routing the
connection (for example one running Windoze 98SE or ME or 2000 with
Internet Connection Sharing; advantages: the software needed is often
included with the OS or free; diadvantages: well, you have to have
another PC).

> BTW, you say you pulled this as an unanswered question out of the
> Calmira_tips
> archive. Did you refer to your personal archive, or is there an actual
> address on the net ?

Look on www.freelists.org, there's an online archive of all the lists
there.

> From: "Reid" <reids@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: <CT> Re: NT 3.51 and the shell
> Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:57:32 -0800

> The Calmira 3.2 installer works fine for changing the Windows NT 3.51 shell
> to Calmira.

Interesting.

> Calmira itself works fine too.  But then again this is just an
> ordinary PII 300 "MMX" machine.  It would be pretty cool if you could run
> Calmira with NT 3.51 on a RISC based machine.

Sure, both AFAIK the only non-x86 platform NT 3.51 was popular on was
the DEC Alpha platform - and it seems to have been a slooow memory hog
there. The folklore guys who have an Alpha from back then run anything
on it - except for NT 3.51 (it apparently makes for laughs). (Don't know
about the MIPS platform.) Plus, I don't know whether the 286 emulation
on those will suffice for Calmira (however... it has already been run on
286s, so it *should* work).

BTW: Got my AR7030 PLUS and the ARA-60 yesterday - very impressive.
(Well, as long as the TV is off, the wiring seems to transport all kinds
of RF noises either into the antenna's or the receiver's power supply,
or both.) That AOR is truly an amazing rig, with almost all the bells
and whistles a shortwave listener could want - well, the money wasn't
quite sufficient for the noiseblanker and notch filter module, but apart
from that: various IF filters, various AGC characteristics, great
sensitivity, synch detection, all the modes from AM over SSB to
narrowband FM, passband shift, ... Almost two days with no PC usage,
imagine that ;).

Stephan
--
Home: http://jgrossklass.bei.t-online.de/

To SMP or not to SMP - no question in this case:
P100@90+P75@90, 24 MB, 540 MB, ELSA WINNER 2000AVI; Win NT 3.51