<CT> Re: E/OS LX

  • From: "Kurt Semler" <k_semler@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 16:10:45 -0800

Yes, I have heard of this alternative OS.  It is basically a Linux OS that
is initiated somehow from FreeDOS.  It claims that it can run POISIX
applications, Win16 and win32 applications.  I seriously doubt it, after
all, the WINE project is nowhere near completed.  Although, ReactOS does
seem to be making very good progress.  The goal of this project is to make a
GNU GPL clone of WIndows NT4.  It even has a GUI now, and it is prgressing
quite nicely.  It is currently at the 0.21 alpha stage, but they are working
on it every day, and they are trying to get Mozilla and OpenOffice.org 1.1.0
to run on it by the end of this year.  More information can be found on it
at http://www.reactos.org

>I wonder if anyone has ever heard of this program...
>
> While surfing on the net, I came across this kind of os that replaces
> windows with open source code and runs calmira on top of it, claiming to
> run
> almost all windows applications.
>
> I really don't know how to put it into words, but check it out
> (Maybe you already know it, but I didn't...)
>
> http://meos.sourceforge.net
>
> Haven't tried it yet... Let's see...
>
> Ps: By the way, I wonder if any of you know of a vcd (video cd) player for
> win3x? Does it shows vcd menus?
>
> Thx
>
> --
> OR visit //freelists.org