<CT> Getting IE5/Win3x to Fake Out M$ Site

  • From: "Mike Webb" <mwnews@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 15:57:44 -0500

Sometime early last year, someone posted to a newsgroup or mailing list
(perhaps the Win31 list?) how to modify IE5 for Windows 3.x so that it
wouldn't be rejected by the M$ site as an "unsupported" browser. The
gist was that if IE5/Win3x could tell www.microsoft.com that it was the
Windows 95 version, that would be that and you could get some help. I'm
about to have to do a MAJOR Windows meltdown due to an error I can't do
a search for. There may be a resolution, but I can't get to it.

If the person who posted that solution (or knows of it) would post it
to the list or email it directly to me, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks!