<CT> Enabling Parallel Port bi-direction

  • From: Billy Wong <bhs1989@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 12:28:06 -0500

   Is there such a utility program - shareware or freeware - available
that can "switch" the parallel port between uni-directional and
bi-directional?

   I've been trying for OVER ONE YEAR to get my workhorse PC (IBM PS/2 70
586DX) and the Xerox DocuPrint P8 laser printer to work together.  All I
got was a "Communications Error" dialog box in Windows (be it 95/3.11)
whenever I want a printout; in fact the printer does "print" (you can
hear it powerup and do its thing) but the paper stack never moves an
inch!

   I checked my system's BIOS setup configuration, and there is NO option
on the parallel port setting to switch the port to bi-directional or even
uni-directional.  Even tried different printer cables (IEEE 1284,
bidirectional) and still no-go.  The Xerox drivers doesn't show whats
wrong other than that sole dialog box just before it attempts the
printing.

   I am sure nothing is wrong with the workhorse's port - I used my old
dot-matrix printer (a Star NX-2400) on it and it works fine.  And I am
also sure the Xerox P8 is not defective; I connected it to my other PS/2
PC - a Model 55SX 486SLC - and the printer worked!  Clean crisp
laser-printed hardcopy!  (OTOH the 55SX's BIOS setup configuration DOES
have a bi/unidirectional option on its parallel port.)
   I hope I'm wrong that my workhorse just can't handle newer printers...
 Because that would be a BIG strike against her - and yet another sad
reason for me to get a new PC next year.

   Anyone on the list with suggestions would be appreciated!

   ___Billy Wong___
   BHS1989@xxxxxxxx
   http://www.geocities.com/billythekid1602445