<CT> Calmira on WfW 3.11 with Linux

  • From: "Martin B. Brilliant" <mbrilliant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 12:56:35 -0400

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 14:01:12 +0100, Richard Hamilton-Frost wrote:

> It is so cool bridging Windows 3.11 with my Linux server which acts as
> a Samba Windows Domain + IE 5 on a 486 flying round at 512kbs!

I have a 386 named SPOT in my basement running WfW 3.11 with an older
Calmira, dual-booting with Windows NT 3.1. It's networked via coax to
SKIP, a 486 running Red Hat Linux 5.2 with Samba, and SLUG, a Pentium
running Windows 95 on which I'm trying to set up a dual-boot with a
newer Red Hat version. OK so far?

Upstairs on the second floor my wife and I have two more modern
Windows machines, NANCY and MARTIN, networked to each other and to a
cable modem through a gateway/router box with CAT-5 twisted pair. Two
separate networks, so far.

Downstairs, SLUG (the Pentium) is the one that's closest to the phone
jack on the wall. So when I set up phonewire networking between the
second floor and the basement, that's the one that talks to MARTIN.
But neither MARTIN nor SLUG knows how to forward packets between
networks.

So now I have three networks, with points in common, that can't talk
to each other. That's why I want to set up Linux on SLUG. But Red Hat
6 can't see the PCI phonewire NIC, and 7.2 won't install because the
CD-ROM I burned is bad. Should I try Red Hat 5.2? Should I put a
newer version of Calmira on SPOT? How can I connect MARTIN with SPOT
and SKIP as well as SLUG? Is there a version of Calmira that's stable
on Windows NT 3.1?

                                                Marty
Martin B. Brilliant at home in Holmdel, NJ