<CT> Back to Calmira again... thanks to Linux!

  • From: Bob Groves <bobgroves@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Calmira Tips (new)" <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:16:59 +0000

Hi y'all!

After about 18 months of retiring Calmira and Windows 3.11 in favour of
'progressing' to Win98SE, list readers may be amused (is that that the right
word?) to hear that I've finally started using Calmira again. This is in an
experimental setup with the Bochs emulator under Linux (yes, I've mostly
ditched Windows in favour of something that doesn't crash every five minutes
or ask me to account for changing my hardware).

As an experiment (and for old-times-sake) I downloaded the excellent Bochs
emulator, set it up to run DOS 6.22, and installed Win 3.1 followed by
Calmira XP. The whole thing worked first time, and runs in a little window on
my old Pentium 3 (600 MHz). Speed is about the same I used to get on my old
486 DX2-66. Mouse is a little 'jerky', and I've yet to work out how to get
more than a 16-colour display, but otherwise it has given me no end of
pleasure to see Windows 'tamed' under Linux. Next little experiment will be
to see if I can get Win 3.1 and Win 98 running in separate Bochs sessions at
the same time, and try installing a few Windows applications - especially
those that won't run under Wine or Crossover Office. Best of all worlds, eh?
--
Bob Groves (in the UK)

... who wrote this using Kmail in KDE 3.11 on a
Pentium 3 - 600 running Linux Mandrake 9.2