[cad-linux] Re: openDWG

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:26:52 -0600

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Yorik van Havre
# on Wednesday 12 January 2005 06:42 am:

>even if it's not
>open-source, at least it can open DWG (even version 2004, as they
> are part of that openDWG group), which I find is the big problem
> with linux cad programs.

Yeah.  OpenDWG is great for all of the commercial packages, but
terrible for any that are open-source.  You are correct that opening
legacy files is a big problem for linux cad programs, particularly
open-source ones.  Even qcad is hindered by only being able to open
dxf files.

One of the things that I am trying to do with the uber-converter
project is to get a working open-source dwg converter implementation.

http://ericwilhelm.homeip.net/uber-converter/

With Varicad, there is a bigger problem:  you can't import/export
dwg's with solid models because the openDWG library doesn't handle
ACIS data.  I wrote to Spacial asking for the ACIS spec, and they
kindly told me to go figure-it-out myself.  A great attitude toward
interoperability!

So, is the problem with Linux cad programs, or is it with all of those
other programs?

--Eric
--
A counterintuitive sansevieria trifasciata was once literalized
guiltily.