[cad-linux] news

  • From: "Yorik van Havre" <yorik@xxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 12:25:33 -0300

This list is a bit asleep, I think not much has been going on in the cad
linux field these days...
I think I never wrote it here, but I'm currently working on a module for
freeCAD that adds basic 2D cad functionality in it. Note that FreeCAD is
still in very alpha stage, and the average user won't be able to do much
with it. But if you know a bit of python you might find it very interesting,
the scripting/python extending possibilities are really huge.

This module I'm working on is entirely written in python, and I've taken
many ideas from older python CADs like pythoncad... If anyone wants to have
a try and give me feedback or ideas, I'd be happy. There is still not much,
but until now there is only me working on it... Installing FreeCAD + the
module can be a bit difficult if you're new to linux, but that should change
soon, there are even talks about including FreeCAD in official Debian
repository...

FreeCAD is here:
http://juergen-riegel.net/FreeCAD/Docu/index.php?title=Main_Page
The module I'm working on is here:
http://yorik.orgfree.com/scripts/FreeCAD-repository.html
The module documentation is here:
http://juergen-riegel.net/FreeCAD/Docu/index.php?title=Draft_Module

There is also a project on the blender wiki, started by one of the blender
main coders, that aims at giving Blender better tools for architecture
modeling. Blender will probably never be a CAD program, but even so it could
fit much better in the pipeline of architects work. For example, we already
have a couple of basic tools for extracting 2d sections from models and
exporting them to CAD. There are many other ideas there that have good
chances to be included in blender soon.

The blender architecture project is here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/BlenderArchiProject
A coupe of architecture-oriented scripts I made for blender:
http://yorik.orgfree.com/scripts.html

So, that's it for me... more news, anyone?

Cheers,
Yorik

Yorik van Havre São Paulo Brazil http://yorik.orgfree.com