[cad-linux] Re: Revit and Wine?

  • From: "Jeffrey McGrew" <JMcGrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 16:41:14 -0800

No, I haven't tried yet. See, I've got a
machine at home that I need to change into
a dual-boot machine before I can futz with
Revit under wine. But I need to get the home
Linux server working 100% before I can get
to turning my machine into a dual boot.

My wife and I just used the same machine
for a while, and now she has a G4 Mac so
we both have our own computers. I'm trying to
set up a home Samba Server so that we can
share the printer, our common work files,
and all the MP3's :) but it's not working
100% of the time just yet and I haven't had
the time to work on it much. So it will
hopefully be sometime this month that I
switch my machine to a dual
boot and give it a try.

Also (just as a FYI, it's off topic)
I'm going to see if I can get a demo copy
of Virtual PC for Mac, I've heard that
the latest version for OS X is really good.
If it can run Revit at a decent speed then
I might go that direction.

But as I've said before, I've found an
open source solution to almost all my needs-
except something like Revit. But if I can
run Revit on a Mac or Linux box then I'll
just do that; Windows 2000 is the first
MS product that I don't hate, but I don't
want to use XP (or spend the money to upgrade).

Also, a glimmer of hope; when I was at AutoDesk
University (AutoDesk's big pooh-bah get together)
I asked their VP, Phil Burstein, about the whole
Linux thing. He said that they are currently
looking into making some of their products run on
Linux, mostly for the Educational market, because
a lot of Universities & schools are going with
Linux on donated computers or Macs. If AutoDesk
made a version of Revit that ran on Linux, it would
also run on Macs (with the new Apple X11 thingy),
and that would make me a very happy man.

Also it would save us a HUGE amount of money
at the firm I work for; because we're still mostly
on Windows 98 and don't have the money to switch
everyone to Windows 2000 or XP. If we could just switch
the clients to Linux, and run a native version of
Revit, life would be really really good. :)

But this is probably a pipe dream, for
AutoDesk and MicroSoft are very close.
I think AutoDesk might do something on
the movie production side, due to the
fact that a lot of those folks are
switching to Linux for their Renderfarms
and AutoDesk won't want to loose out
on that market.

Jeffrey McGrew
Designer