[cad-linux] Re: R: Re: Any suggestions about free hosting sites for a CAD symbol library?

  • From: "Lars O. Grobe" <grobe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 03:26:57 +0800

This is actually interesting. We have open standards for 3d (step, iges,
x3d), we have for 2d illustration (svg), but do we have for 2s cad? Is
svg suitable for this?
I ask because I see dxf as highly problematic here. It is fine if your
files work with QCad, but this does not make dxf an open standard. It
heavily depends on (and changes with) versions and is controlled by a
company not very open to the rest of the world.

So what would people propose if not svg? iges and step provide 2d, but
is there software able to use this?

Cheers

Lars.