[cad-linux] Re: Newbie question: CAD/CAM

  • From: Hugh Currin <currinh@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 04:53:26 -0800

I didn't see this mentioned so I thought I'd put in my two cents worth.

It's my understanding EMC is a machine controller. It reads G-code and ou=
tputs=20
signals for steppers or servos. It has no CAD capacity and no CAM capacit=
y. I=20
use it and it works great as a machine controller. EMC runs on linux with=
=20
real time extensions.

I think what was asked about was a CAD to G-code converter which would be=
 more=20
a CAM package. These will read in a autocad file and plan the tool paths,=
=20
feeds, speeds, etc. and output G-code. I have found no decent linux based=
 CAM=20
packages. I tried Q-CAD and while a good 2D drawing package the CAM is no=
t=20
functional (in my opinion). I'm currently using Vector on a windows box. =
In=20
fact I just bought a windows box specifically to run Vector.

If anyone knows of a linux CAM package I'd sure like to hear about it.

Thanks.

> > i;m very interested in getting autocad to cnc formats for machine
> > shops to build parts from autocad drawings...
> > =09( we make our own custom 1U chassis - real world stuff
> > =09( and needs lots of custom itty bitty metal parts too
> >
> > some of the cnc links i've seen ... and real/big $xx,000 machines
> > =09http://www.Linux-CAE.net/CAD
> > =09http://www.Linux-CAE.net/MachineShop/

--=20
Hugh Currin, PE