[cad-linux] Re: More on VRML and other file formats

  • From: phrostie <pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 08:12:29 -0800 (PST)

> I'm leaning toward Varkon or OpenCascade at the
> moment.  I'd like to crib as much as possible of their
> functionality as possible but apply operations to
> whichever format we can agree on.  I had originally
> hoped to take Blender -- a very well put together
> modeller; now GPL'd -- and add CAD functionality to
> it.  The major problem is its native file format is
> binary and "looks like a glorified memory dump."  Does
> anyone have an opinion on native files from
> OpenCascade or Varkon?

i am a blender fan, but it handles all it's geomentry as a mesh if i recall
corectly.  there may be other parts of blender that cound be put to good use,
but i would think that it's file format would cost you a lot in terms of
functionality.

OpenCascade looks really good for a number of reasons.
        it creates very clean solids.
        there are a number of other applications that also use it.
        it's community is growing.

Coin3d/OpenInventor, not often mentioned, is also a favorite of mine.
        it has all the same benefits as above.
        also i beleave that vrml is a subset of it's format.
        you also have the option of using either implimentation of the same api.

varkon's best attribute to me is that it has a lot of functionality in a small
        package.  it may not have as large a code base as the other two, but it

        will also run on my P75.  i like that.

if you want to try starting with a 3d modeler take alook at www.ayam3d.org.
        it's a favorite of mine.  it's not gpl, but it is opensource.
        http://ayam.sourceforge.net/License.txt

there are others, but....$.019878656

=====
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS
//www.freelists.org/webpage/cad-linux

http://mailplus.yahoo.com