[cad-linux] Re: Linux Drawing Viewer status and plans

  • From: keith frost <pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 06:02:41 -0800 (PST)

> I don't have his address, but search for "wine
> intellicad" on google.com and it
> will come up as one of the first ten (something like
> cadtastrify.com)

hehe, if you mean
pfrostie.freeservers.com/cad-tastrafy
i'm not my own dot com just yet.  :-)

btw, i've added AJBIBB's lx-viewer to the CAD section,
and a whole sleugh of new projects from sourceforge.
most have not posted any code yet.  his seems to be
way ahead of most.

> If you can get plot (#4) to work, then you can
> easily set up a printer in Linux
> that simply saves it as a pdf (#5) - using ps2pdf
> from ghostscript

there is also a ps2hpgl, but i've had trouble getting
the plotter to initialize

> [...]
> >file.  While viewing there is pan and zoom (in,
> out, extents, center, window,
> >and previous) capability plus you can set the view
> direction in 3D space
> >using a dynamic dialog box. Also included is a
> rudimentary help system. The
> >program will search for and load X-REFS and AutoCad
> SHX files to display speci
> >al fonts (at least it works with the Big Fonts I
> have on my system).
> >Future Items: (in the order I plan to work on them)
> :
> >1)  I want to get a web home page up at Source
> Forge for the Viewer.  This is
> >one of the places where I plan to provide a link to
> this mailing list (the
> >other is in the project discussion forum).
> >2)  I want to incorporate the new icons you sent
> into the tool bars, plus I
> >want to implement the 3D hot keys you requested.  I
> also would like to be
> >able to toggle from paper space views to model
> space views (and back again).
> >3)  I then want to revise the program as necessary
> to use the OD libraries
> >which should become available 4 to 6 weeks after
> Acad drops ACAD02 on the
> >market.  Viewer currently uses the 2.005 OD
> libraries which are several
> >versions behind.  This should bring the program up
> to date with the latest
> >from Open Drawing.
> >4)  I would like to have some sort of plot
> capability incorporated.
> >5)  There seems to be some interest in saving
> drawings as PDF format and I
> >would like to try that also.
> >6)  If I get to this point it is logical to try to
> implement some simple
> >editing commands.
> >I am confident that I'll get 1-3 done, after that
> it really depends upon user
> >feed back.  If there seems to be an interest out
> there (and people are using
> >the program) I am sure that I'll keep plugging away
> at it.   By the time I
> >get to #6 I am going to need some other programming
> help though.  Even if the
> >help is not coding I will, at the very least, need
> to bounce some ideas off
> >of people as to what is a computationally efficient
> scheme that can be used
> >to link a vector on the screen to a specific entity
> inside the drawing data
> >base. You really can't edit until you answer that
> basic question.  The OD
> >people have mentioned once or twice that they MAY
> make this capability part
> >of some future release, but I gather it is more of
> a wish list item than
> >something with which we can hang our hats on.
> >
> >I hope this gives you the information you need.
> This is slightly
> >embarrassing to ask, but what exactly is the
> address of your web page?  I
> >knew that you had a page somewhere with snap shots
> of Linux Cad programs
> >displayed (and I am pretty sure I even checked it

=====
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS
//www.freelists.org/webpage/cad-linux/

http://greetings.yahoo.com