[cad-linux] Re: Linux Drawing Viewer status and plans

  • From: Brian Johnson <bjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 04:11:34 +0000

I don't have his address, but search for "wine intellicad" on google.com and it
will come up as one of the first ten (something like cadtastrify.com)

If you can get plot (#4) to work, then you can easily set up a printer in Linux
that simply saves it as a pdf (#5) - using ps2pdf from ghostscript

AJBIBB@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Keith,
>I am finally getting caught up with the E-mails over the holidays.  As
>requested here is the status of the program and my future plans.
>Current Status:
>The program can open and view an AutoCad drawing (in model space) created up
>to A2k.  After viewing the drawing you can save it to a DWG or DXF file (any
>version 2.5 to 2000), plus you can write a snap shot of it as a BMP or XPM
>file.  While viewing there is pan and zoom (in, out, extents, center, window,
>and previous) capability plus you can set the view direction in 3D space
>using a dynamic dialog box. Also included is a rudimentary help system. The
>program will search for and load X-REFS and AutoCad SHX files to display speci
>al fonts (at least it works with the Big Fonts I have on my system).
>Future Items: (in the order I plan to work on them) :
>1)  I want to get a web home page up at Source Forge for the Viewer.  This is
>one of the places where I plan to provide a link to this mailing list (the
>other is in the project discussion forum).
>2)  I want to incorporate the new icons you sent into the tool bars, plus I
>want to implement the 3D hot keys you requested.  I also would like to be
>able to toggle from paper space views to model space views (and back again).
>3)  I then want to revise the program as necessary to use the OD libraries
>which should become available 4 to 6 weeks after Acad drops ACAD02 on the
>market.  Viewer currently uses the 2.005 OD libraries which are several
>versions behind.  This should bring the program up to date with the latest
>from Open Drawing.
>4)  I would like to have some sort of plot capability incorporated.
>5)  There seems to be some interest in saving drawings as PDF format and I
>would like to try that also.
>6)  If I get to this point it is logical to try to implement some simple
>editing commands.
>I am confident that I'll get 1-3 done, after that it really depends upon user
>feed back.  If there seems to be an interest out there (and people are using
>the program) I am sure that I'll keep plugging away at it.   By the time I
>get to #6 I am going to need some other programming help though.  Even if the
>help is not coding I will, at the very least, need to bounce some ideas off
>of people as to what is a computationally efficient scheme that can be used
>to link a vector on the screen to a specific entity inside the drawing data
>base. You really can't edit until you answer that basic question.  The OD
>people have mentioned once or twice that they MAY make this capability part
>of some future release, but I gather it is more of a wish list item than
>something with which we can hang our hats on.
>
>I hope this gives you the information you need.  This is slightly
>embarrassing to ask, but what exactly is the address of your web page?  I
> [...]

-----
Brian Johnson, P. Eng.
Johnson Engineering Consultants
www.jecinc.on.ca